Featured Post

What is Wrong With Being a Tourist?

Sunday, June 29, 2014

My Betsy turned 20

    Betsy has turned 20 in 2014. I ride a 1994 Harley Davidson Dyna Wideglide. I am her third rendition of riders and I think she likes me best. She has definitely been kind to me on this journey of learning to ride a motorcycle.
    She has put up with my tentative starts and winding her out in 1st gear because I was afraid to shift. And then there were the clutches ( I have gone through two) that I held on to like it was the brake. I used to fight her for control through every turn until I realized that she had the whole thing down and I should just allow her to carry me through. Now we sail through the turns with ease; we roll down the freeway and hit 85 and only slow down because I don't want a ticket. She is my friend and partner and I thank her for totally changing my life.
    We started this journey eight years ago. I had met Joe on match.com and about two weeks in to the relationship I was introduced to the motorcycles. Up until that point, I think Joe was afraid that I wouldn't stick around and would leave them right when they had become attached. So he waited until the time was right. I ventured into the garage and saw the Roadglide first. She was big, beautiful and full of chrome and you could just see the strength in her. Then back behind, kind of pushed to the back I spotted Betsy. She was beautiful with her red coat and shiny pipes, but she was also a little sad looking. Joe explained that she was his first Harley and the one he road to Sturgis in 2002. The two of them had made the trip alone and you could tell he loved her still. But he had wanted to do more touring and the Roadglide was more suited to that. He told me he planned to sell Betsy soon.
    Well time went on and Betsy was not sold. I had a friend that rode her own bike and was always asking "when are you going to learn to ride your own scooter?" I went so far as to sit on Betsy in the garage while Joe steadied her. I was overwhelmed by the weight and how top heavy she felt. I promptly got off and said I was content to ride on the back.
    Then the pain started up my back when we went out and riding the motorcycle started being less and less fun. I learned to sleep through the boredom while going down the road. I kept thinking that I could do it and I could ride my own.
    Once I started voicing this and with others encouragement, the plan took on a life of its own. Suddenly Joe was making arrangements to put Betsy in the shop for a much needed tune up and I was committed. I was thinking "holy crap, now what" at the same time the thought was very exciting. I could visualize going down the road on that motorcycle, flowing through the turns and heading out for parts unknown. The reality of learning was not as easy as I visualized however. But with persistence, Joe's patience, and long trips I have somewhat mastered the motorcycle. Although I often feel that Betsy is so awesome and she just makes me look good.

    Well we have come a long way in the last four years since I decided to "man up" and learn to ride my own scooter. Learning to ride has been life changing, in a good way. I only wish I had met both Betsy and Joe sooner. I view life itself differently and I have a new sense of what it is all about. I love traveling on the motorcyle and experiencing the open road. We get to our destination and I often do not feel like stopping. I never seem to get tired and I just feel totally alive while riding.
     I am coming to that crossroads where I am considering moving up into a bike that is more for touring. Betsy now has close to 85,000 miles on her and Joe says we need to consider getting me a new bike. I have test ridden several bikes now. Harley Davidson Roadglide, Ultra Classic, and Streetglide. Three models of Victory and the Indian Chieftain. Each time I test ride a bike I head back to Betsy and get on for the ride home and I am drawn back into how comfortable I am with her. I just seem to fit in that saddle and everything about her is so familiar. I wonder if with a new bike I will ever have that same feeling of comfort.

    I have settled on the Indian Chieftain to be her replacement. That is the only bike that is a step up from Betsy instead of a step down. I love the looks and the ride of the Indian and it is just an overall amazing machine. The new bike will be black with lots of chrome. But I am very worried about what will become of Betsy. We have considered having her be a showpiece in our home but I don't think she would be happy somehow. She loves the open road and every time she is packed down for the next trip. So I am hoping that we can pass her on to someone who loves her as much as I do. And I will always be grateful for her changing my life.
    So thank you Betsy and here is to 20 more years!

1 comment:

  1. Awww, Diane, that is such a sweet testimony to Betsy and the joy she has brought to you. Actually, she's brought such joy to you both! She first made Joe so happy, then she made him happy again by helping you in your journey of riding. Can you imagine how happy he must be to see both of his loves riding together, becoming friends??
    Maybe Betsy needs a young woman to ride her, a woman who is learning to ride, who needs a bike to take her around So Cal.
    Congrats to Betsy! She's a lucky motorcycle!
    Smooches my dear friend,
    Sash
    <a href="http://wwwSashMouth.com>Sash-The Rude Biker Chick</a>

    ReplyDelete